May 25 2011
That line is stuck in my head! Morning Musume’s new PV for “Only You” is out. Let’s look at what I feel are the positives and negatives, shall we?
+ I absolutely love the chorus. Best darn chorus Morning Musume has had in a long time.
- Not so sure about the verses. They’re… cool, but weird and sort of disconcerting?
+ Gaki-san’s lines are epic!
- Gaki-san’s lines have about twice as much autotune as they should. I think a little would be cool and fit with the song, but it’s just way too much
+ I actually like Ai-chan’s hair. I was shocked at first, but she’s really working it.
- They could not have picked a less flattering hairstyle for Zukki if they tried. Are they THAT determined to make her unpopular?
+ Nice editing! I love when it quickly switches back and forth between the red and white background during the last chorus. Adds lots of drama.
+ “Boobs grabbing” dance move in the chorus makes me LOL. It’s like they’re saying “Stop bouncing around while I’m dancing!”
- Dancing during the bridge is awkward
+ Riho! Yep, I’m happy about what a good position she got. No one can deny she’s a fantastic dancer and has a really cute face, but I was also impressed with her vocals. Certainly not as good as Ai-chan, but she really held her own on that last chorus. Morning Musume needs new front girls, and I fully support Riho being one of them.
- All the people who now “hate” Riho because she’s being pushed. Boo to you.
Other observations: More Fuku-chan than expected. She actually got a better spot than Gaki-san during the V formation, and I think she’s center in the “two lines” formation they use a couple times.
I expect this to sell better than Majidesuka ska because this kind of song tends to do better than the happy kind, and the chorus is so strong. (BTW, Maji ska did end up outselling Seishun Collection eventually. HA!)